GiGi's Playhouse Milwaukee • 8685 N. Port Washington Road, Fox Point, WI 53217
Spring New Tutor Kick-off
February 24, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Welcome new and returning tutors!
At kick-off, we will review best practices for supporting individuals with Down Syndrome in one-to-one tutoring sessions, share some Promoting Positive Behavior tactics, review program materials, how to use Microsoft Teams, learn from each other about how to plan lessons, and document student successes! Previous training in education is not required to be a tutor, just the time and compassion for supporting a new friend.
All tutors must be 18 years old or older and able to pass a background check. Tutors are committing to lead a one-hour session per week, for 10 weeks with their matched student(s). Additional information about tutoring can be found on our website under 1:1 programs. If you have questions or specific comments/concerns please reach out to us at ProgramsMilwaukee@gigisplayhouse.org
Tutor to-do tasks BEFORE kick-off on Feb. 24th:
1. Complete the volunteer interest survey if you are a new volunteer at GiGi’s Playhouse Milwaukee. https://gigisplayhouse.org/milwaukee/volunteer/
2. Complete the registration form to enroll in the upcoming tutoring session. https://gigisplayhouse.org/milwaukee/one-on-one-tutoring/
3. Download the Microsoft Teams app (this is where we will communicate, share documents, and meet virtually throughout the session). Here is the link to do this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app
4. Accept the invitation to join the GiGi’s Milwaukee Literacy or Math Team and login to Microsoft Teams. An invitation will be sent via email.
5. Watch the tutor training videos. Information will be sent via email after registration for the tutoring session. https://training.gigisplayhouse.org/
Tutor to-do tasks for IN-PERSON training on Feb 24th:
1. Arrive at the Playhouse by 7pm. Bring any outstanding paperwork, questions, and ideas. We are excited to meet you in-person!
Let us know if you have questions, want clarification on anything, or if anything has changed as far as your availability for the upcoming tutoring session.
THANKS for being a volunteer!