Looking for a chance to make a difference? Then we need you!
GiGi's wouldn't be able to run without volunteers! Opening and running a successful playhouse requires the time and dedication of many, including family members, friends, therapists, and members of the community. We are looking for volunteers to do a variety of tasks, including cleaning toys, providing one-on-one tutoring, leading programs, and several other jobs that help to support the playhouse. If you are interested, we would love to get to know you and have you volunteer alongside us. Please email us at VolunteerMilwaukee@gigisplayhouse.org for more information.
All ages are welcome to volunteer; however, program leaders and tutors must be over 18 and able to pass a background check.
We are looking for dynamic individuals to support us in the following ways:
PROGRAM LEADERS are key volunteers that guide the group in the targeted activities or lessons for each program, based on best practices and guides provided by GiGi’s Playhouse, INC. Leaders collaborate with the Site Coordinator and guide Program Volunteers. Approx. 1 hour once per month or once per week (programs vary). Email us to find out more HERE.
LITERACY & MATH TUTORS are trained volunteers that learn specific methods to teach our individuals with Down syndrome based on researched and current best practices. All instruction is scaffolded into "I do, We do, and You do" lessons that adapt to the child's needs in each area of focus. Tutors are responsible for creating weekly lesson plans after being given training & are expected to complete progress tracking noting student’s skills and lessons taught. Support is available throughout sessions. Scheduling is based on the tutor’s and the family’s availability (volunteer when you can, based on your schedule). Tutoring sessions are one-to-one with students, typically 45-60 minutes weekly, for 10-week sessions. Complete the tutor registration form HERE.
PROGRAM VOLUNTEERS support scheduled programs under the direction of individual Program Leaders. Program volunteers assist others to increase participation & independence in program activities, provide supervision, maintain safety, allow for parents to network, assist with the check-in process, set up (food/snacks/materials) and clean up. Volunteers of all ages are welcome to support our programs. Program volunteers attend when programs are scheduled.
PLAYHOUSE SUPPORT is needed behind the scenes, not working with participants.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Programs & Tutoring: making copies, finding online resources (lessons, activities, recipes), making lesson plans, organizing, cutting, laminating, making binders, folders, books, etc.
- Events/Outreach/Marketing: making copies, taking pictures, posting to social media, promoting GiGi's and going to local businesses/schools to inform them about our mission and programs, etc.
- Cleaning: Vacuuming, wiping tables, sweeping, mopping, disinfecting toys, cleaning mirrors, restocking, etc.
- Office: filing, entering data, making flyers, calendar updates (paper & online), social media posts, making phone calls, sending thank you letters, etc.
HOST FAMILIES are familiar with the Playhouse, the program and can support the Program Leader and Volunteers throughout activities. Host families open and close the Playhouse before and after the program, greet new families and participants. Schedule is flexible, support during activities that you are already planning on coming in for! A Host Family is needed for each program.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS support all operations to make our Playhouse a warm welcoming and supportive environment for our community. Committee members collaborate with board members to keep our Playhouse operating smoothly. Contact us to learn more!
Committee Members are needed in the following areas:
- Programming (planning, organizing, connecting with leaders & volunteers)
- Facilities (maintenance, design, expansion)
- Social (party & event planning & hosting)
- Marketing (print & social media)
- Fundraising (Dance-a-Thon, Brew Ha Ha, donations, sponsorships, annual appeal)
- Outreach (connect with schools, businesses & community resources)
All volunteers must attend an orientation, have an application and confidentiality forms on file. Coordinators, Program Leaders and Tutors must also complete the background check process.
For more information email us at email@example.com
Visit us at: GiGi’s Playhouse, 8685 N. Port Washington Road, Fox Point
(off I-43 & Brown Deer Road in the Riverpoint Village Shopping Center)