Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals with Down syndrome. GiGi’s Playhouse is a volunteer-run organization, and thanks to the skills and dedication of volunteers like you, we are able to offer purposeful programs, FREE of charge, to our families.
Since our Madison Playhouse opened in 2016, parents, family members, clinicians, and community members who believe in the GiGi’s Playhouse mission act as volunteers in our programs, committees, events, administrative office, and on our Board of Directors.
Current Leadership Opportunities
Gala Event Committee Members
Seeking committee members with many different talents and time availability - starting in April and May and leading up to the gala in October. Volunteer your skills and help in one of the following areas:
- Logistics and event planning committee
- Fundraising committee – Sponsorships & in-kind donations
- Marketing committee - Public relations, graphic art design,
- Administrative committee – printing, mailing, organizing tasks
The literacy coordinator and the math coordinator train, mentor and coach future tutors, coordinate with volunteers and families, and ensure we are up to date and following our GiGi’s National curriculum. These 2 positions are ideal for retired educators or anyone who wants to continue inspiring the love of literacy and math which will in turn assist our children, teens and adults in reaching their “Best of All” and attaining more independence. Each coordinator position requires an estimated commitment of about 20-25 hours per month during 3 tutoring sessions – Spring, Summer, Fall.
Program & Volunteer Coordinator
The Program & Volunteer Coordinator is the key volunteer team member supporting and overseeing the GiGi’s Playhouse educational and therapeutic programs and overseeing recruitment, orientation, scheduling, training and recognition of volunteers within the Playhouse. Works collaboratively with the Program Committee, Site Manager, and each Program Leader to provide high quality, outcome-driven programs according to the program models developed by GiGi’s Playhouse. Delivers a high level of customer service for potential and committed volunteers. This position requires a commitment of 15-20 hours per week.
We are looking for someone with an OT background (Student or professional) that could consult on a program we are developing
- Literacy Tutors
- Math Tutors
Tutors receive 5 hours of tutor training prior to starting. Tutors work one-on-one with each student, preparing for school readiness, vocational transition and independent lives. Tutoring sessions are 10-weeks in length and meet 1 time per week for 60 minutes. Tutors and students register before each session and are matched up based on the days/times they are available.
- Program Leader
Serves as the lead volunteer at the assigned program. Responsible for planning purposeful, goal-oriented activities for each session and delegates responsibilities to assigned volunteers.
- Program Assistant
This volunteer will assist the program leader, and the number of volunteers depends on the size and type of program. Program volunteers work directly with individuals with Down syndrome.
Board of Directors
- Board Director
Works together with full board to adopt sound, ethical, and legal governance and financial management policies. Ensures GiGi’s has adequate resources to advance its mission. Monitors the overall management of the Playhouse. Determines the Playhouse’s goals and policies. Serves on a committee: Programs, Fundraising, Outreach, Events, Marketing, or Facility/IT.
- Clean Team: Clean toys, organize and decorate. This is a great opportunity for youth groups, businesses etc.
Computer/Tech/Media: Provide IT assistance
- Handyman: Fix things that break, touch up painting, etc.
- Marketing/PR: Contact media for events, help write press releases, create flyers and brochures
- Writers: Blog, marketing materials, grant writing, etc.
- Fundraisers: Research and meet with individuals/organizations who would like to sponsor or donate to GiGi’s Playhouse Madison, grant writing, etc.
- Chairperson: Oversees the committee and event, some experience with event & volunteer coordination preferred, but not necessary.
- Committee members:
- Fundraisers/Sponsorships: Help secure donations for the events by reaching out to organizations in the community, asking for sponsorship and donations
- Marketing/PR: Write press releases, follow up with media, create flyers, brochures, etc.
- Decorations: Secure decorations needed for the event
- Food and Beverage: Research and secure food and beverage donations
- Day of Volunteers: Set-up, help with registration, event tasks, clean-up