Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer and impact the lives of individuals living with Down syndrome. GiGi’s Playhouse is a volunteer-run organization and we rely on the skill and dedication of volunteers of various levels of expertise to keep our programs vibrant, educational, purposeful, fun and free. Since the first Playhouse opened in 2003, GiGi’s Playhouse programs have always been free for our families. Parents, family members, clinicians, and individuals who believe in the GiGi’s Playhouse mission act as volunteers in GiGi’s Playhouse programs, events, administrative offices, and on our Board of Members.
Current Leadership Opportunities
Literacy Tutors – Tutors will receive a special 4.5 hr tutor training. The GiGi’s Playhouse Literacy Tutoring Program is based on proven methodologies from professionals in the field. This highly individualized program provides custom made materials relevant to each student’s level of reading, interest and age. The focus extends from whole word recognition to matching, selecting and naming; phonics and comprehension. Tutors work one-on-one with each student, preparing for school readiness, vocational transition and independent lives. There are four 10-week tutoring sessions per year. Tutors and students register before each session and are matched up based on the days/times they are available.
types of volunteer opportunities
- Commitment: Varies. Once a week to once a month
- Host Family: The Host Family attends the assigned program each session, to ensure that no family must attend on their own and works in conjunction with program leader.
- Program Volunteers: This person will assist the program lead, and the number of volunteers depends on the size and type of program. Program volunteers just need a general knowledge of Down syndrome (which you can gain at the volunteer orientation)!
- Literacy and Math Tutors: This is an exciting opportunity to help those with Down syndrome learn to read or do math skills! The time commitment per week is 1 hour plus prep time. We ask our tutors to commit to one session (10 weeks). You will work directly with the family of the child you are tutoring to determine when you will meet for your session each week. Starting Summer 2016.
- Commitment: Varied-These can either be 1x week, 1x month or on an as needed basis.
- Clean Team: Come in at least once a month on a Saturday afternoon to clean toys, organize and decorate. This is a great opportunity for youth groups, businesses etc.
- Computer/Tech/Media: Hook up the copier/printer and come in as needed for computer assistance
- Handyman: touch up painting, fix broken toys, replace smoke detectors, etc.
- Marketing/PR: contacting media for events, help write press releases, create flyers and brochures.
- E-mails/HTML: Someone who has some knowledge of constant contact/graphic design and HTML who can help edit our weekly e-mails
- Writers: for blog, grant writers etc.
- Fundraisers: Research and meet with individuals/organizations who would like to sponsor or donate to GiGi’s Playhouse Madison
- Commitment: Varied, 1x a week during event planning a few months before event
- Committee member:
- Chairperson: Oversee the committee and event, some experience with event/people management preferred.
- Fundraisers/Sponsorships: Help secure donations for the events by reaching out to organizations in the community, asking for sponsorship and donations
- Marketing/PR: Write Press releases, follow up with media, create flyers, brochures etc.
- Decorations: Research and secure rentals needed for the event
- Food and Beverage: Research and secure food and beverage donations
- Day of Volunteers: Helping with registration