October 1st began Down syndrome Awareness Month but awareness is not nearly enough. Awareness is simply acknowledging an existence, a challenge, etc. Human beings are so much more than existence or a challenge. Let’s turn our awareness to acceptance!
Acceptance is an ACTION and a commitment to extending consistent value, approval, and empowerment.
Being part of a now 50 Community network all across the US and Mexico we get to see and celebrate individuals with Down syndrome, their families, and their communities every day! They do not benefit from passive “awareness”. Kids do not realize opportunities to excel in school or forge lasting friendships because people are “aware”. Adults with Down syndrome are never offered meaningful jobs because employers are “aware”. Communities don’t unite to foster more accepting schools and online environments by exercising “awareness”.
Hope, progress, achievement, friendships, wellness, academics, employment, and lasting change result from ACTION: the action of ACCEPTANCE.
As we close out October, we who are a part of this beautiful community know that the mission to change the way the world views Down syndrome does not stop here! So what are some things we can do to keep changing perceptions, creating change, and offering what we have to help?
- Please be sure you are following GiGi’s Playhouse Syracuse on Social Media! Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn. When you follow us (or any business or organization that you care about) and leave your comments, likes, and even share our posts you become part of helping to promote acceptance! Come engage with us, we want to engage with you!
- Share this blog posts and others!
- Read our monthly newsletters to be up to date on programming, events, volunteer needs, and highlights from the amazing GiGi’s community! If you see something you like are want to know more about it, let us know!
- Join in on our programs and help us spread the word about what is offered! Remember while we are a Down Syndrome Achievement Center, we welcome friends of all abilities who find value in our offerings. Take pictures and videos, then share them on social media and tag us. Or email them to us so we can be sure to let our volunteers know the impact they are making!
- Learn more about volunteer opportunities! No matter how much time you have or what your talents are we have a place for you and would love to welcome you into the GiGi’s family! We offer all the training and support you need for both in-person and virtual needs.
- When shopping on Amazon Smile, choose GiGi’s Playhouse Syracuse as your charity of choice. Every purchase will give back to GiGi’s and not cost you any extra.
- Visit our Wish List & see if there is something you can add to your shopping cart or invest with a monetary gift that stays right here to support the Syracuse community, you can even check to see if your company will match your gift.
Thank you so all who join us on the mission of changing the way the world views Down syndrome, every bit helps and is moving us forward! Do you have an idea? We would love to hear them. Comment below or feel free to contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.