A is for Achievers
We are excited to bring the Achievers program to our local Playhouse. This program has been offered at other locations over the years although it has been called different names (EPIC, SMART. TEAM). All locations will be transitioning to a more unified program and name.
The GiGi’s Achievers program empowers adults with Down syndrome with purposeful activities to ensure continued learning and fulfillment of life. This program teaches and promotes communication, self-awareness, independence, health and wellness through community engagement. Each lesson will provide participants with “hands on” learning experiences in a naturally occurring environment.
A participant must be 18+ to attend this program.
Additional details about the very first session of this program (fall 2023) session are at the bottom of this blog.
Goals of the program include:
- Increase health & wellness through learning opportunities including exercise, nutrition and healthy habits.
- Understand the concept and importance of Confident U. Healthy U. Whole U. – building you up from the inside out
- Increase self-advocacy through activities such as learning about myself and my community, my likes and dislikes.
- Increase social interactions through activities such as communication skills and attending events within my community.
- Increase independence through activities and learning opportunities including self-help, community awareness and engagement.
Areas of learning include:
Communications & Awareness
Self-Advocacy – Speaking up and taking action!
- Knowing myself
- Impulse Control
- Awareness of Others
- Meet and Greet Behavior
- Eye contact
- Appropriate Behaviors
- Clothing Choices
- Basic First Aid and Wound Care
- Privacy – bathroom use
- Daily Life
Health and Wellness
- Kitchen/eating Awareness
- Eating Out
- Grocery Shopping
- Outings in the community to learn about enrichment
- Service project
We will begin offering this program Fall of 2023.
- Begins Thursday, September 14th
- Takes place every Thursday for 6 weeks from 1-3 pm.
- You will register for the entire series and are expected to attend all 6 weeks.
- Registration is available on the website calendar linked here. Once registered you will receive a follow up email with a link to complete an additional information form.
The program will be overseen by our Education Coordinator, Ms. Ann along with dedicated volunteers Ms. Deb and Ms. Colleen. These names may sounds familiar for some as they have been assisting with the Adult Group Speech Program (aka Coffee Club).
If you have questions about this program or registering, please contact the Playhouse at 309-762-7529 or email email@example.com.