Quarterly Highlights: April-June 2023
GiGi’s NYC recently closed out our Spring Semester, and it was nothing short of amazing! Check out the recap below to read about our remarkable second quarter:
- We re-launched our Community Chorus Program where participants rehearsed motivational and empowering songs in preparation for their performance at our 2023 Gala, to be held on 10/19/23. Stay tuned for more details about this event!
- We introduced a Puppetry Program to our community for the first time. Under the guidance of classically trained, multi-disciplined puppeteer Daniel Patrick Fay, our participants created their very own puppets, with the session culminating in a puppet show which starred their unique puppet creations!
- We had a Peter Pan & Wendy Watch Party at our playhouse, featuring Noah Mathew Matofsky, the first actor with Down syndrome to land a major role in a Disney film.
- We hosted a special edition of Destination Discovery with our 2022 Ambassador, Danielle, as our Program Leader. Danielle presented on the very important topic of “Activism,” which was followed by a group conversation and activity.
Danielle is a student in our 1:1 Literacy Tutoring Program and created this wonderful presentation during her 1:1 sessions. Danielle then approached us about presenting her work to our community – GO DANIELLE!
- We held a Mother’s Day Tea Party in celebration of Mother’s Day!
- We hosted a Father’s Day celebration with a corn hole tournament and crowned two lucky winners, who received gift cards for BILLY Footwear!
- We held our 9th Annual Dancing For Down Syndrome event as part of the National GiGiFIT Acceptance Challenge-a MOVEment for acceptance. It was spearheaded by our Youth Board again, under the guidance of our Associate Board. The event was highly successful, raising over $25K and counting!
- We successfully launched a 4-week session of GiGi Prep for adults with Down syndrome ages 18+ who would like to continue on the career development path. GiGi Prep places emphasis on building communication skills, money management, customer service skills, team building and wellness. We are super excited to launch the full length version during our fall 2023 semester. Stay tuned for more info!
We are extremely thankful for all our amazing participants, families, volunteers, donors and community partners. We can do what we do because of YOU!