Participant Spotlight Alert!
This week, we cannot wait to introduce Danielle Cumberbatch. Danielle joined our community in July for Summer Horizons and had a blast! She is currently participating in our Gratitude Art Committee program on Wednesdays, creating beautiful and thoughtful art pieces! We encourage you to pop into Gratitude Art Committee to say hello to Danielle and hear about the wonderful art she is making! In the meantime, please enjoy the below Q&A with Danielle.
- When did you first join the GiGi’sPlayhouse NYC community?
I first joined the GiGi’s Playhouse NYC Community in July 2020 for Summer Horizons.
2. What GiGi’s NYC programs do you attend?
I attended Summer Horizons for two weeks over the summer and now I attend the Gratitude Art Committee.
3. What program(s) is your favorite / has been the most impactful to you?
My favorite and most impactful programs were speech with NYU, yoga, painting, and the special events and presentations at Summer Horizons.
4. What does GiGi’s NYC mean to you?
GiGi’s NYC means I get a place whereby I have an opportunity to do and try new things. It is a place that makes me feel like I can make an impact in my community and NYC.
5. What have you gained from our programs?
From GiGi’s programs I have gained a lot of experience as I was introduced to things I have never done. I also feel like I have gained a place where I can learn things with my peers.
6. What do you look forward to doing at the Playhouse once we can safely gather there again?
Because I have never been to GiGi’s Playhouse before, I am looking forward to everything! I am looking forward to all the programs, meeting new friends. I truly miss meeting with my peers, volunteers, and staff from the summer.
7. How do you enjoy spending your free time?
I enjoy spending my free time reading and writing, hanging out with my friends and family, going to church, doing yoga and meditation, exercising, watching TV, knitting hats, and doing word searches.
8. What does Down syndrome awareness and acceptance look like to you?
Down syndrome awareness and acceptance to me means that my disability is not a liability. I am a strong and normal person who can achieve anything.
9. What do you want the GiGi’s NYC community to know?
I want the GiGi’s NYC community to know that we can grow together. We all have a talent and together we can make an impact in this world.
10. What would you like to see from GiGi’s NYC in the future? Do you have any ideas for new programs or special events?
I would like to see from GiGi’s NYC in the future a continuation of their awesome programs like yoga, art and crafts, and painting on canvases. Some programs or special events I think would be great are ‘How to Create a Book’ and jewelry–making.
Danielle, we are so inspired by your beautiful words and couldn’t agree more – you can absolutely accomplish anything and the GiGi’s NYC community is full of talent and will continue to make a positive difference on the world! We are so fortunate to have you as a part of our community and look forward to seeing you at more programs soon.