Volunteer Spotlight: Sarah
Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’ve been volunteering at GiGi’s Playhouse for a year and it’s been the most amazing experience. Day-to-day I work for Wayne Homes as a New Home Consultant, which I also love doing!
We want to get to know you! What are some of your favorites? (food, color, season, activity, restaurant, place to shop, etc.)
My favorite food is the spaghetti my mom makes! I love all seasons, but my favorite is the fall. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, and to travel.
How did you learn about GiGi’s and what prompted you to become a volunteer?
I learned about GiGi’s when I was in college. One of my classes encouraged us to be more involved in our communities, and after doing some research I was drawn to GiGi’s instantly and knew it was something I needed to become a part of.
What is your role at the Playhouse?
Every Wednesday I lead our 18+ participants in GiGi’s Kitchen. In this program, our team of volunteers help assist them make delicious meals or snacks while practicing safety in the kitchen and social skills with others.
What is your favorite experience you have had at the Playhouse?
My favorite experience has been the friendships I have made with the participants and other volunteers. Getting to know them and their families is something I value and I only wish to create more relationship with new GiGi’s members.
Our GiGi’s Kitchen programs are designed to emphasize the importance of a healthy lifestyle and early exposure to practical cooking skills. Under the guidance of program leaders, participants will engage in activities designed to promote healthy eating habits, kitchen safety awareness, food preparation skills, self-confidence, and social skills by applying learned skills as they prepare and enjoy a shared meal/snack!
The GiGi’s Kitchen programs are truly life changing!! Participants in the GiGi’s Kitchen programs are motivated by their peers as they strive for their personal Best of All in health and wellness! Enrollment for our spring sessions of GiGi’s Kitchen Kids, Teen, and Adult will be open beginning December 12th by visiting: https://gigisplayhouse.org/canton/gigis-kitchen/
- GiGi’s Kitchen Kids, recommended for ages 6-12 years old
- GiGi’s Kitchen Teen, recommended for ages 13-17 years old
- GiGi’s Kitchen Adult, recommended for ages 18+ years old
The Goals for GiGi’s Kitchen programs
- Increase healthy eating habits by developing a positive relationship with food, understanding the importance of a balanced diet, recognizing hunger cues and other body signals, and introduction to concepts of nutrition.
- Increase kitchen safety awareness by practicing safe food handling techniques and recognizing common kitchen dangers to avoid accidents and injuries.
- Increase food preparation skills, with a focus on the fine motor, cognitive, math, and literacy skills required to use utensils and kitchen equipment, learn cooking techniques, measure ingredients, and follow recipes.
- Increase self-confidence and social skills through activities that promote responsibility, good manners, and peer to peer interaction, including participation in clean-up and bonding over meals.
- Increase quality of life by sharing learned skills at mealtime, creating memories, establishing meaningful relationships, and applying knowledge of nutrition and wellness for a healthy lifestyle.