Holiday Fun for the Whole Family
The month of December is a time for joy, togetherness, and creating wonderful memories with your loved ones. For families of individuals with Down syndrome, engaging in activities that foster creativity, motor skills, and bonding is a fantastic way to celebrate the holiday season. Here are some delightful activities tailored for your family to enjoy this December.
Boost fine motor skills and unleash creativity by crafting your very own gingerbread man!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- An empty toilet paper roll
- Glue or tape
- Cut out buttons, a head, arms, and legs for your gingerbread man from the paper.
- Use markers to add color and personality to your gingerbread man’s features.
- Attach these pieces to the empty toilet paper roll using glue or tape.
This activity is not only a fun way to engage in crafting but also aids in developing hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
Practice handwriting skills while expressing holiday wishes by writing a heartfelt letter to Santa Claus. Encourage your loved one to share their wishes for Christmas while expressing gratitude for Santa’s hard work throughout the year.
It’s an opportunity to celebrate the spirit of giving and joy.
Engage in a creative endeavor while enhancing scissor skills and fine motor abilities with a paper plate Christmas tree. Gather the following materials:
- 1 paper plate
- Glue or tape
- Cut the paper plate into four pieces to form the tree’s layers.
- Color each piece green to resemble the branches of a Christmas tree.
- Cut out ornaments, tinsel, or any desired decorations from paper and affix them to the tree layers.
Encourage vibrant colors and imaginative decorations to make this tree a festive centerpiece for your holiday celebrations.
These family-centered activities are not only fun but also offer opportunities for learning, bonding, and creative expression. Embrace the spirit of the season by engaging in these activities together, fostering joy, and creating cherished memories with your loved ones.
If you try one of these activities, we would love to see it in action. Share it on social media and tag us @gigisplayhousefargo or #gigisplayhousefargo
Happy holidays from all of us at GiGi’s Playhouse Fargo!
A special thanks to our OT students from University of Mary for putting together these activities.