The GiGiFIT Program is designed to empower individuals with Down syndrome through independence and confidence in their abilities with an ultimate goal of mastering everyday tasks with less effort and minimal assistance. GiGiFIT will enhance a person’s quality of life through teaching healthy exercise habits and movements. Like many GiGi’s programs, GiGiFIT is designed to motivate and teach individuals with Down syndrome to achieve their highest potential in a goal-oriented environment. GiGiFIT is for individuals of all ages with Down syndrome with program classes for various ages and purposeful progressions for all abilities.
How Does GiGiFIT Work?
GiGiFIT focuses on improving areas of fitness through activities in strength, endurance, joint stability, balance, movement control and more. GiGiFIT promotes wellness through nutrition, pushing through barriers and building self-confidence. Participants in GiGiFIT are motivated by their peers both physically and emotionally as they strive for their own personal best.
Core Areas of Curriculum
Fitness: Strength, Endurance, Power, Stamina
Nutrition: Healthy Meal Planning, Personal Wellness, Food Science
Balance & Coordination: Joint Stability, Posture, Movement Control
- Strengthening and toning muscles are vital to master everyday tasks and promote independence. Through strengthening core muscles, individuals become empowered and grow confident in their abilities to meet their goals.
- GiGiFIT works to improve balance and coordination. This increases body position and awareness and helps prevent injury. It also helps minimize sub-optimal movement patterns that can lead to chronic issues down the road.
- GiGiFIT provides a multifaceted approach to increase sensory, perception, decision making and response times to maximize motor control.
- GiGiFIT teaches about healthy meal planning, meal choices and food science. Through increased nutritional awareness, individuals create their own path to personal wellness.
- GiGiFIT provides a safe, empowering and structured environment to promote independence through physical activity and education. Individuals work alongside peers to achieve their goals to see improvement in not only their physical health, but enhances their lives.