Thank you for your interest in becoming a Volunteer. GiGi’s Playhouse is a volunteer run organization and we rely on the skill and dedication of volunteers of various levels of expertise to keep our programs vibrant, educational, fun and free. Since the first Playhouse opened in 2003, GiGi’s Playhouse programs have always been free for our families. Parents, family members, clinicians, and individuals who believe in the GiGi’s Playhouse mission act as volunteers in GiGi’s Playhouse programs, events, administrative offices, and on our Board of Members. If you are interested in donating your time and talent, let us know!
types of volunteer opportunities
- Commitment: Commitment varies by program.
- Program Leader: The Program Leader plays an integral role within GiGi’s Playhouse Programs – to facilitate skill development activities and connect with families. It is preferred that the Program Leader has advanced education and/or training in developmental therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, behavioral therapy, social work, special education, speech-language therapy, music, dance, art or a related field.
- Program Volunteers: This person will assist the program lead, and the number of volunteers depends on the size and type of program. Program volunteers just need a general knowledge of Down syndrome (which you can gain at the volunteer orientation)!
- Literacy and Math Tutors: This is an exciting opportunity to help those with Down syndrome learn to read or do math skills! The time commitment per week is 1 hour plus prep time. We ask our tutors to commit to one session (10 weeks). You will work directly with the family of the child you are tutoring to determine when you will meet for your session each week. Starting Summer 2016.
- Commitment: Varied-These can either be 1x week, 1x month or on an as needed basis.
- Clean Team: Come in at least once a month on a Saturday afternoon to clean toys, organize and decorate. This is a great opportunity for youth groups, businesses etc.
- Computer/Tech/Media: Hook up the copier/printer and come in as needed for computer assistance
- Marketing/PR: contacting media for events, help write press releases, create flyers and brochures.
- E-mails/HTML: Someone who has some knowledge of constant contact/graphic design and HTML who can help edit our weekly e-mails
- Writers: for blog, grant writers etc.
- Fundraisers: Research and meet with individuals/organizations who would like to sponsor or donate to GiGi’s Playhouse Madison
- Commitment: Commitment varies by event.
- Committee member:
- Chairperson: Oversee the committee and event, some experience with event/people management preferred.
- Fundraisers/Sponsorships: Help secure donations for the events by reaching out to organizations in the community, asking for sponsorship and donations
- Marketing/PR: Write Press releases, follow up with media, create flyers, brochures etc.
- Decorations: Research and secure rentals needed for the event
- Food and Beverage: Research and secure food and beverage donations
- Day of Volunteers: Helping with registration