GiGi's Playhouse Tinley Park is looking for....
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Volunteer. GiGi’s Playhouse is a volunteer run organization and we rely on the skill and dedication of volunteers of various levels of expertise to keep our programs vibrant, educational, fun and free. Since the first Playhouse opened in 2003, GiGi’s Playhouse programs have always been free for our families. Parents, family members, clinicians, and individuals who believe in the GiGi’s Playhouse mission act as volunteers in GiGi’s Playhouse programs, tutoring and events. If you are interested in donating your time and talent, please email us at email@example.com.
Volunteer on our calendar here
We are looking for dynamic individuals to support us in the following ways:
PROGRAM LEADERS are key volunteers that guide the group in the targeted activities or lessons for each program, based on best practices and guides provided by GiGi’s Playhouse, INC. Leaders collaborate with the Programs Coordinator and guide Program Volunteers. Approx. 1 hour once per month or once per week (programs vary). Email us to find out more HERE.
LITERACY TUTORS are trained volunteers that learn specific methods to teach our individuals with Down syndrome based on researched and current best practices. All instruction is scaffolded into "I do, We do, and You do" lessons that adapt to the child's needs in each area of focus. Tutors are responsible for creating weekly lesson plans after being given training & are expected to complete progress tracking noting student’s skills and lessons taught. Support is available throughout sessions. Scheduling is based on the tutor’s and the family’s availability (volunteer when you can, based on your schedule). Tutoring sessions are one-to-one with students, typically 45-60 minutes weekly, for 10-week sessions. Complete the tutor registration form HERE.
PROGRAM VOLUNTEERS support scheduled programs under the direction of individual Program Leaders. Program volunteers assist others to increase participation & independence in program activities, provide supervision, maintain safety, allow for parents to network, assist with the check-in process, set up (food/snacks/materials) and clean up. Volunteers of all ages are welcome to support our programs. Program volunteers attend when programs are scheduled.
HOST FAMILIES are familiar with the Playhouse, the program being offered and can support the Program Leader and Volunteers throughout the activities. Host families greet new families and participants. The schedule is flexible; support during activities that you are already planning on coming in for! A Host Family is needed for each program.
PLAYHOUSE SUPPORT is needed behind the scenes, not working with participants.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Programs & Tutoring: making copies, finding online resources (lessons, activities, recipes), making lesson plans, organizing, cutting, laminating, making binders, folders, books, etc.
- Events/Outreach/Marketing: making copies, taking pictures, posting to social media, promoting GiGi's and going to local businesses/schools to inform them about our mission and programs, etc.
- Cleaning: Vacuuming, wiping tables, sweeping, mopping, disinfecting toys, cleaning mirrors, restocking, etc.
- Office: filing, entering data, making flyers, calendar updates (paper & online), social media posts, making phone calls, sending thank you letters, etc.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS support all operations to make our Playhouse a warm welcoming and supportive environment for our community. Committee members collaborate with board members to keep our Playhouse operating smoothly. Contact us to learn more!
Committee Members are needed in the following areas:
- Programming (planning, organizing, connecting with leaders & volunteers)
- Facilities (maintenance, design, expansion)
- Social (party & event planning & hosting)
- Marketing (print & social media)
- Fundraising (Dance-a-Thon, Brew Ha Ha, donations, sponsorships, annual appeal)
- Outreach (connect with schools, businesses & community resources)
All volunteers must attend an orientation, have an application and confidentiality forms on file. Coordinators, Program Leaders and Tutors must also complete the background check process.