GiGi’s Playhouse – Syracuse
- This event has passed.
Destination Discovery | 1:30-3:30pm
December 7, 2019 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pmFree
Destination Discovery is an interactive and engaging program for participants of all ages and their families. We support the development of motor skills, social skills, and language through purposeful play and peer to peer interaction in a casual and fun setting. This program also brings families together to share experiences and build relationships.
Destination Discovery supports the therapeutic-based development of individuals with Down syndrome, with goals of achieving the following:
• Increase social skills, with focus on group participation and increasing leisure
• Increase language development, with focus on vocabulary development,
receptive language skills such as following directions and answering basic
questions and promoting successful interaction with peers.
• Increase gross motor skills at each individual’s level through games and
activities aimed at active play.
• Increase fine motor skills, with focus on self-help skills and independent work.
In addition, the family will receive a Best of All book to build knowledge and:
• Understand the purpose behind all of GiGi’s Playhouse programs.
• Implement activities at home to build skills and increase motor and language
Components of the Program
Play = Fun + Learning
Play is the work of childhood and is essential for growth and healthy development. There is considerable research supporting the benefits of play for all children. The Destination Discovery Program at the Playhouse is designed to facilitate these benefits to all participants that attend this program.
We have included a list of the benefits of play in an effort to enhance the interaction and general play schema of children during the Destination Discovery activities.
Emotional benefits include enjoyment, fun, self-expression, release of energy and relaxation.
Destination Discovery is for all ages!! Invite your friends & please RSVP so we can be prepared for all our friends!
Visit us on Facebook to learn this months theme and purposeful activities.