This week, our blog is going to follow a slightly different format as we hear from our incredible GiGi’s NYC Ambassadors! Enjoy!
On the afternoon of Friday, January 15th, our GiGi’s NYC Ambassadors gathered for a virtual meeting. Hannah Providenti, our Programs Coordinator, facilitated the call. The meeting was attended by our Ambassador, Malik Jabbaar, and his mother, Yamira Siu, as well as Ambassadors, Evie Palmer and Safia Al-Rawi, and their mothers, Adela Palmer and Elizabeth Scheel. During the meeting, we discussed the significance of being a GiGi’s NYC Ambassador, and the goals that Malik would like to accomplish now that he is an Ambassador. Evie and Safia will continue to support and help Malik to achieve these goals. Ideas that were discussed included:
- Launching an “Ambassador’s Corner” talk show to discuss news and current happenings at GiGi’s NYC, hear from members of the community, spread awareness about Down syndrome and people of all abilities, and much more!
- Relaunching Community Chorus with Broadway’s Laurie Gamache this Spring – hopefully outdoors provided it is safe to do so – and adding pop songs to our repertoire
- Hosting some of our fitness programming (GiGiFIT, Yoga, Zumba, Judo) outside, when it is safe to do so
- Creating a video about the importance of social-distancing and wearing a mask
- Creating videos promoting GiGi’s NYC and our programs to be shared on social media and spread awareness about our Playhouse
- Creating personal videos about different members of the community to be shared on social media so that we can all get to know one another better
Comment below to let us know what ideas you would like to see in action! Please feel free to also suggest your own ideas! As discussed during the meeting, being an Ambassador is a special privilege. A GiGi’s NYC Ambassador is an active participant in the programming and events at GiGi’s NYC, is always willing to step in and volunteer, is excellent at communicating with other participants, families, and volunteers, and embodies the GiGi’s NYC mission of acceptance for all people in all that they do.
Please join us in thanking Evie and Safia for their wonderful contributions, and for all that they will continue to do to bring exciting new initiatives to GiGi’s NYC! Also, please join us in congratulating Malik on his position as our newest GiGi’s NYC Ambassador!