GiGi’s Playhouse New Orleans is very excited to offer our free summer programming for all ages! Learn a little bit more about our upcoming programs below and be on the lookout for our schedule and registration links.
LMNOP (Ages 0-3)
LMNOP is an interactive and engaging program for children age newborn to 36 months old. It guides parents and young children through learning basic sign language and other forms of communication using music and language-based activities. LMNOP supports the therapeutic-based development of young children with Down syndrome with goals of achieving the following:
- Introduce and practice the use of basic signs/gestures/pictures to support language development.
- Increase language development, with focus on vocabulary development, following basic directions and social interaction with peers using music, stories and play.
- Introduce transitions and circle time; key skills needed to prepare children for pre-school and beyond.
Playhouse Pals/Kids Club (Ages 4-12)
Playhouse Pals supports the development of social skills and language through peer to peer interaction in a casual and fun setting. This program also supports gross motor skills through active games, as well as fine motor skills & self-help skills. Recommended for 5-8-year-olds.
Kids Club supports the development of social skills and language through peer to peer interaction in a casual and fun setting. This program will also support gross motor skills through active games, fine motor and self-help skills through meal/snack preparation and activities. Recommended for 8-12-year-olds.
Music in Motion Kids (Ages 6-12) & Teens (Ages 13-17)
Music in Motion offers participants the opportunity to build confidence in their social, communicative, and motor skills through music. Many genres of music will be incorporated, including music that celebrates our local culture. We are happy to partner with Love’s Music Therapy to bring this program to GiGi’s, thanks to a grant from the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation.
Our GiGiFIT programs combine physical therapy with a strong fitness focus and an ultimate goal of success and improved movement. GiGiFIT was created in collaboration with skilled Physical Therapists who work specifically with individuals with Down syndrome. The GiGiFIT programs are designed to address common issues for individuals with Down syndrome including hypotonia, excessive joint laxity, and decreased balance. Every GiGiFIT program is safe, effective, and progressive. GiGiFIT helps participants build strength, endurance, power, joint stability, balance, and movement control. GiGiFIT empowers participants to be more independent and confident in their abilities while improving their overall health and wellness.
The goal of this program is to:
- Provide individuals with Down syndrome with a road map for purposeful, specific, and successful movement across their lifetime! Improve Physical
- Therapy Goals: Strength, Endurance, Joint Stability, Balance, Coordination, Sequencing, Independent Practice, Lifetime of Participation
- Improve Fitness: Strength, Endurance, Power, Stamina
- Improve Balance and Coordination: Joint Stability, Posture, Movement Control
Fantastic Friends (18+)
Our Fantastic Friends program supports the development of social skills and language through peer to peer interaction in a casual fun setting. Along with their peers without Down syndrome, adult participants participate in the planning of activities so that group activities are based on personal interests. During Fantastic Friends, the group may participate in active games, dancing or exploring their local community by participating in outings and events.