Your Child CAN learn MATH!
FUN activities you can do with your child to support early math learning:
1. Play with Shape Sorters!
2. Make simple patterns using something your child loves.
Stickers – get two sets and place them in a row “star, circle, star, circle, star, circle……”
M&M’s – place them in a row by color “red, yellow, red, yellow, red, yellow….”
Movement – “stomp, clap, stomp, clap, stomp, clap….”
Playing Together – “mom’s turn, Joe’s turn, mom’s turn, Joe’s turn”
3. Teach 1:1 Correspondence (being able to match ONE object with ONE other object or person)
Host a “tea party” with all your stuffed animal friends. Everyone gets one plate, one napkin, one teacup, etc. Model language “One for stuffed bear, one for stuffed tiger, one for me”.
Draw some circles on a piece of paper and have your child place one sticker in each circle.
Cut 2 spaces from an egg carton so there are ten left. Give your child ten small items and have them practice putting one in each space. Some ideas for small items include food items such as goldfish crackers, small pom poms, sorting bears.
4. Put things in order from smallest to largest and largest to smallest.
Use items found in your kitchen:
Different size spoons Different size plastic containers
Different size plates
Use items found outside:
5. Count to two every time you are helping your child get dressed:
One sock, Two socks
One shoe, two shoes
One leg, two legs
One arm, two arms
Introduce these concepts using I Do, We Do, You Do:
- Show your child what you would like them to do(I Do)
“watch as I make this pattern, Red, blue, red, blue, red, blue”
- Ask them to try to do it with you(We Do)
“would you like to try it with me? Red, blue, red, blue, red, blue”
- Wait until you feel like they understand, and then asking them to try it themselves(You Do).
“Do you want to try it by yourself? Wow, that’s great!”
When your child knows these concepts, they are ready to learn Number sense and Counting Principles!
To learn more about the GiGi’s Playhouse 1:1 Math Tutoring Program visit www.gigisplayhouse.org!